Right to Information Act 2005 mandates timely response to citizen requests for government information. It is an initiative taken by Department of Personnel and Training, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions to provide a– RTI Portal Gateway to the citizens for quick search of information on the details of first Appellate Authorities,PIOs etc. amongst others, besides access to RTI related information / disclosures published on the web by various Public Authorities under the government of India as well as the State Governments
Objective of the Right to Information
The basic object of the Right to Information Act is to empower the citizens,promote transparency and accountability in the working of the Government,contain corruption, and make our democracy work for the people in real sense.It goes without saying that an informed citizen is better equipped to keep necessary vigil on the instruments of governance and make the government more accountable to the governed.The Act is a big step towards making the citizens informed about the activities of the Government.
About the College
Situated in the pristine Madappally hills of Onchiyam Panchayat, about 7 kilometers north of Vadakara in Kozhikode district, Kerala, Govt. College, Madappally is the main hub of higher education in north Malabar. The college came into existence in 1958 with two divisions of pre-university courses. The college is affiliated to University of Calicut since 1968, prior to which it was under the University of Kerala.
First phase of expansion of the academic field dawned when the college had shifted to a permanent prolific building along with new course in 1963. Since then the college has witnessed sustained academic growth in terms of the intake of students as well as the commencement of new undergraduate and post graduate course. Now with a stable footing, the college offers 10 UG programmes, 7 PG programmes and 4 Research centres, in Humanities, Commerce and Science. The College can boast of conducive ambience for the pursuance of academic and research with the guidance of highly qualified teachers and innovative technology provided by well equipped libraries, laboratories, language labs, EDUSAT, seminar halls and smart classrooms, to a mention a few. Further, the college provides lot of avenues and facilities such as various clubs and forums for the real all-round development of students. The mark of excellence has been established by the fact that despite the mushrooming of many educational and technical institutions in and around the locality, Govt. College, Madappally stands high, catering to the needs of about 1700 students and making them feel honoured and privileged.
- Government College Madappally – Organisation, Functions and Duties:
The internal and general administration of the college is vested with the Principal, subject to the control of the Director of Collegiate Education. The Principal is the head of both the Academic and Administrative wings of the College. The Principal is assisted by vice Principal, the college council, faculty members and administrative or ministerial staff. The college council consists of the Principal, heads of departments of each subject of study and two elected members of teaching staff. The council is empowered to consider and report on any question concerning, accommodation, course of instruction or rules of discipline referred to it by the Principal.
After the Principal and the vice Principal, the heads of various teaching departments come in next in the order of hierarchy. The 7 departments in the college offer both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. They are Commerce, English, History, Political Science, Chemistry, Physics and Zoology; three departments offer only undergraduateprogrammes, namely Economics, Botany and Mathematics. Four departments – Commerce, Chemistry, Physics and Zoology – are research centres also.
The college office, the administrative wing, is headed by the Senior Superintendent who runs the office according to the instructions of the Principal, assisted by the ministerial and supporting staff.
The college is bound to follow the rules and instructions of the UGC, State Government and the University of Calicut to which it is affiliated. The Government of Kerala is the appointing authority of the teachers as well as the non-teaching staff. However, the appointment of guest faculty and ad hoc office staff can be done by the Principal as per the instruction of Kerala State Government and Director of Collegiate Education. The budget of the college is framed by the Principal in consultation with the members of the council and forwarded to the Director of Collegiate Education. The major statutory bodies in the college include the College Council, Anti-ragging Committee, IQAC Committee, General Discipline Committee, RTI, Ethics Committee,RUSA Committee, Student Grievance Redress Cell, and SC/ST Grievance Redress Cell
- The Power & Duties of Officers and Employees
The Principal of the college is the supreme head of both the Academic and Administrative sections of the college. The college office, the administrative wing, is headed by the Senior Superintendent who runs the office according to the instructions of the Principal, assisted by the ministerial and supporting staff. The following are the designations of the faculty and administrative staff:
- Associate Professors
- Assistant Professors
- Guest faculty
- Senior Superintendent
- Junior Superintendent
- Head Accountant
- Senior Clerks
- Senior Grade Typist
- UD Typist
- UGC Librarian
- Librarian (Higher Grade)
- Herbarium Keeper
- Library Attenders
- Lab Attender (Higher Grade)
- Lab Attender
- Office Attendants
- Night Watchmen
- Sanitation Worker
- The Procedure Followed in the Decision Making Process, including Channels of Supervision and Accountability.
The internal administration of the college is vested with the Principal. The Principal, however, takes appropriate decisions for the proper functioning of the college in consultation with the college council, and the academic and administrative wings of the college. The college is bound to follow the rules and instructions, and timely circulars of the UGC, RUSA, State Government and the University of Calicut to which it is affiliated. Moreover, Kerala Service Rules and Kerala State Subordinate Service Rules, Kerala Education Act & Rules, Statutes of the University of Calicut are also followed in the general functioning of the college. The Head of the Institution or Principal, the faculty members and the office staff are all accountable for their duties and, therefore, transparency in all activities of the college is ensured. The public’s right to information with the Indian Constitution and its Preamble is secure.
- The Norms Set By the College for the Discharge of Its Functions
The norms by which Government College functions conform to the set of rules and regulations framed by various constitutional authorities. The college discharges its functions as per the the rules and instructions, and timely circulars of the UGC, RUSA, State Government and the University of Calicut to which it is affiliated. Moreover, Kerala Service Rules and Kerala State Subordinate Service Rules, Kerala Education Act & Rules, Statutes of the University of Calicut are also taken into account in the general functioning of the college.
- The Rules, Regulations, Instructions, Manuals and Records Held by it or under its Control or used by its Employees for Discharging its Functions
- The Constitution of India
- Kerala Service Rules
- Kerala State Subordinate Service Rules
- Laws Relating to Civil Services in Kerala
- Kerala Education Act and Rule
- Rules and directives of the Collegiate Education, Kerala
- Act, Statutes, Ordinances of the University of Calicut as amended from time to time.
- Rules for the conduct of classes/library/laboratories/hostel/committees, cells and forums of the college as amended from time to time.
- Particulars of any arrangement that exists for consultation with or representation by, the members of the public in relation to the formulation of its policy or implementation there of:
Opinion of the public representatives through PTA are sought and incorporated in the matters pertaining to the interests of the public around. Lot of programmes are implemented with public participation.
- Categories of documents that are held by it or under its control
The following categories of documents are available:
- Documents and records of administrative matters
- Documents and records of academic matters
For further information, log on to the official website of Government College Madappally:
- Statement of boards, councils, committees and other bodies consisting of two or more persons constituted as its part or for the purpose of its advice.
- Academic Committee
- Planning Research and Development Committee
- Research Promotion Cell
- IQAC Committee
- General Discipline Committee
- Scholar-Support Program
- Walk with the Scholar programme
- Anti-Ragging Cell
- Anti-Sexual Harassment Cell
- Student Grievance Redress Cell
- SC/ST Grievance Redress Cell
- Committee for SC/ST
- Minority Cell
- Internal Compliant Committee
- OBC Cell
- Purchase Committee
- Library Advisory Committee
- Girl Students’ Welfare Committee
- Tutorial Committee
- Remedial Coaching Committee
- Career Guidance and Placement Cell
- Sports Committee
- NSS Advisory Committee
- RUSA Committee
- Examination Squad Committee
- Ethics Committee
- Statement of Budget
Statement of budget allocated for the financial year 2018-19 to the college from theagencies of the Government of India and Government of Kerala under the heads of accounts operated and controlled by Government College Madappally, is accountable and available to the Public on request under RTI Act.
- Manner of execution of subsidy programmes, including the amounts allocated and details of beneficiaries of such programmes:
No subsidy programmes have been executed by the college and no amount has been allocated for any such programmes.
- Particulars of recipients of concessions, permits or authorisations granted by the Government College Madappally:
Details of the student-recipients of fee concessions under different schemes of the Government are available in the office on request.
- Information held by / available to the College, reduced in an electronic form:
- Statutes of the University of Calicut as amended from time to time.
- Rules and directives of the Collegiate Education, Kerala
- Rules for the conduct of Classes/Library/Laboratories/ Hostel/ Committees and Forums of the college as amended from time to time.
- Manual of Office Procedure.
- The library of Government College Madappally has been computerized.
- Facilities available to citizens for obtaining information including the working hours of a library or reading room, if maintained for public use.
It is possible for the public to directly obtain the information they require from the office or the Principal, and from the departments concerned during working hours of the college. Information on other matters is made available from the Public Information Officer as per provisions of the RTI ACT, 2005. The public are provided access to the library and reading room of the college on request which is approved by the Principal.
- The names, designation and other particulars of the Public Information Officers.
Public Information Appellate Authority:
Dr Meera P K Principal
Government College Madappally
Vatakara, Kozhikode, Kerala
PIN – 673 102
Phone (O) 04962512587;n Mob. 9846885166
Public Information Officer:
Dr Preetha B
Department of Chemistry
Assistant Information Officer: